Free Application for Federal Student Aid Practice Run – Applying for Federal Aid

As a senior in high school, you have an opportunity to take advantage of applying for Federal Student Aid for the summer after your graduating year. This application can be completed right now without having to wait for graduation.  I strongly encourage you to complete the 2012-2013 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at

This will give you an opportunity to gain insight into what your expected family contribution (EFC) will be in the upcoming summer and following academic year.  The EFC is critical in assessing your upcoming estimated summer financial aid. So, do not hesitate.

  1. Grab your 2011 Federal Income Tax Returns for your parents.
  2. If you were employed in 2011, you will also need your Federal 2011 Income Tax Return.

I will explain how you will use the  EFC to come up with your estimated financial aid award in upcoming blogs.

Note: After completing the 2012-2013 FAFSA, you will receive a set of forms entitled Student Aid Record (SAR). Do not throw these away! Save them. We will use the information on the SAR to work together and assess an estimated level of financial aid for your upcoming summer.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.